“You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God.” (Ephesians 2:19)
Dear friends, do you still remember that song: “We are soldiers, soldiers of the Lord, we are soldiers, fighting for the Lord, in the name of Jesus, we shall conquer…” Yes, we are soldiers. And the war we fight is not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers. Just as the war is not a physical one, the weapons of this particular war are not also physical.
To succeed in this war, we must first REALIZE THAT WE ARE ON A BATTLEGROUND. Jesus tells us in John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal, to kill and to destroy.” In today’s Gospel passage, Jesus refers to Herod as a fox. Woe betides the soldier who goes about eating and drinking freely not knowing that he is in the midst of a battle.
Secondly, we must realize that LIFE IS BEYOND THE NATURAL REALM. There are invisible forces and powers capable of affecting our world. Thirdly, we must KNOW WHO OUR ENEMIES ARE. Our struggle is not against people, but against principalities and evil spirits. Fourthly, we must be FULLY DRESSED UP FOR BATTLE ALWAYS using:
- THE BELT OF TRUTH- Never tell a lie. Speak the truth at all times. Being truthful is itself a weapon
- THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS- To be righteous is to have a ready disposition to do the right thing at all times even when it entails sacrifice on our part.
- SHOES OF EVANGELISM. Put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace.
- THE SHIELD OF FAITH, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Faith is a shield. Trials are bullets from the devil, but with unshakable faith, trials cannot affect your spirit.
- TAKE THE HELMET OF SALVATION. Just as a helmet protects the head, we must fight knowing that this battle is a won battle; we must renew our confidence in God every day.
- The SWORD OF THE SPIRIT, which is the WORD OF GOD. Pray with the Bible every day.
- PRAY IN THE SPIRIT AT ALL TIMES in every prayer and supplication. Prayer is the key. Imagine a soldier on the battlefield fully armed for war standing face to face with the enemy yet he refuses to pull the trigger. That is how many of us Christians are when we refuse to pray.
Let us pray: Lord Jesus, by your blood on the cross, grant us victory over the enemy. Amen.
Bible Study: Ephesians 6:10-20, Psalm 144 and Luke 13:31-35).