The ministry reacts amid public outrage over the decision.
The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has approved N30 million for the construction of a mosque.
A leaked memo dated December 10, 2020, with Ref. No. FMA/PROC/AHS/SIP/2020/7742/1, signed by Musa Musa, the deputy director of procurement in ministry on behalf of the minister, showed the ministry was awarded to El-Shukhur Multi-Buz Nig. Ltd.
The ministry said the contract had been approved by the Ministerial Tenders Board.
The letter reads in part: “I am directed to inform you that the Ministerial Tenders Board at its 7th meeting held on 7th December 2020 approved the award of contract for the construction of Friday Mosque to your company at the total contract sum of N30, 000, 000.00 (Thirty Million Naira only), inclusive of VAT, with a completion period of eight weeks with effect from the date of this letter.
“You are, therefore, required to indicate in writing within three days of receipt of this offer, your acceptance to the office of the Director Procurement, FMARD, Abuja, or otherwise, the offer will be considered lapsed.
“Therefore, you are to liaise with the Director (Animal Husbandry Services) for adequate supervision of the contract and the Director (Legal Services) for the signing of the contract agreement.
“Please note that the contract is not transferable and the cost is fixed, firm and request for price variation will not be entertainment.
“It is expected that the contract will be executed in strict compliance with the BOQ/specifications and in line with relevant clauses in the bidding document and contract agreement,” it said.
Ministry confirms leak, gives reasons
Amid public outrage, Thursday, Theodore Ogaziechi, the director of information for the ministry said in a statement that the ministry decided to build the worship centre for livestock farmers displayed by Boko Haram insurgents in Borno State.