Prince Andrew leaves St. Giles Cathedral after the arrival of the coffin containing the remains of his mother Queen Elizabeth, in Edinburgh, Scotland. (Photo: AP) Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to the BBC.
Thames Valley Police said on Thursday morning that officers had arrested a man in his 60s in Norfolk.
Searches were carried out at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
In an updated statement later in the day, the force confirmed the man “had been released under investigation” and said searches in Norfolk had now been completed.
The arrest took place at Sandringham at about 08:00 GMT. Police have said it is not related to any allegations of sexual offences.
Story continues below this ad
King Charles III responded to the development by saying that “the law must take its course” and that the police had his “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.
This is the first time Andrew has been arrested. He has denied any wrongdoing. Police had previously said they were considering whether to investigate him over allegations linked to his association with the late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Officers were reviewing claims that confidential material may have been shared.
Communications between Andrew and Epstein were among files released by the US government.
Earlier in February, Thames Valley Police also said it was assessing a separate allegation that a second woman was sent to the UK by Epstein in 2010 for a sexual encounter with Andrew. The woman, who is not British, was in her 20s at the time.
Story continues below this ad
Police contacted the Home Office in advance to inform them of the arrest. Following what the force described as a “thorough assessment”, a formal investigation has now been opened.
Andrew was photographed leaving Aylsham police station after his release. The investigation remains ongoing.




