Highest-ranking Maoist leader Devuji surrenders in Telangana

Date:

3 min readUpdated: Feb 22, 2026 01:38 PM IST

The highest-ranking member of the Communist Party of India (Maoist), Thippiri Tirupathi alias Devuji, has surrendered in Telangana along with 20 other Maoist cadres, two highly-placed sources said.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW VIDEO

A top official said, “He is with us. We will record his surrender in a day or two.”

The surrender has come ahead of a March 31 deadline set by Union Home Minister Amit Shah to bring the Maoist movement to an end in the country. Security forces stepped up operations in 2024, particularly in Chhattisgarh, where at least 520 Maoists have been killed since then, including CPI (Maoist) general secretary Nambala Keshava Rao alias Basavaraju. Several top leaders and hundreds of cadres have also surrendered during this period, including Politburo member Mallojula Venugopal Rao alias Sonu, who was considered to be the ideological head of the Maoist party.

Some intelligence sources said Devuji, also known as Devji, may have been elevated to the top-most post of general secretary of the Maoist party after Basavaraju’s killing in May last year. The Maoist party has, however, denied this.

From Jagtial in Telangana, Devuji is now 62 years old and carries a bounty of Rs 1 crore.

“In the history of the party, there is no other leader of this rank who has surrendered,” a top intelligence source told The Indian Express.

For the past two decades, he had headed the Central Military Commission, or the military wing, of the CPI (Maoist), which has been designated as a banned organisation since 2009.

Story continues below this ad

Devuji is from the Madiga Dalit community. “Tirupathi’s leadership was going to be pivotal because he comes from a marginalised background and could have rallied the party’s cadre, including the Adivasis,” a top state intelligence officer said.

“There was a two-line rift in the party with those supporting Mallojula Venugopal believing that the Maoists should surrender to save the party, and those supporting Devuji asserting that they would remain in the forests for the rest of their lives to put up a fight,” an intelligence source said.

Devuji, who is among the three remaining members of the CPI (Maoist) Politburo, is from the second-rung leadership, when compared to two former general secretaries who helmed the party — Muppalla Laxman Rao alias Ganapathy who stepped down in 2018 and Basavaraju. “We have managed to get the second-tier leadership of the party to surrender, even as many of the party’s older leaders have been killed,” an intelligence officer said.

Tirupathi is believed to have joined the Maoist party in the 1980s, when it was still known as People’s War Group. PWG and the Maoist Communist Centre merged in 2004 to form the present-day Maoist party. “He was part of the Radical Students Union (RSU), which was the students’ wing of the banned outfit,” an intelligence official said.

Story continues below this ad

According to Telangana intelligence sources, the Maoist party now has an armed cadre strength of just 180 cadres who carry top-range weapons. At the commencement of Operation Kagar in January 2024, this number was 2,200.

The cadre base is supported by a militia base of 1,000 people. “In 2022, the militia was 7,000 in number,” an intelligence official said. The strength of the banned outfit has fallen manifold by 1/10th of its original size, a Telangana intelligence source had earlier said.

Nikhila Henry is an Assistant Editor at The Indian Express, based in Hyderabad. With a career spanning 17 years, she has established herself as an authoritative voice on South Indian affairs, specialising in the complex intersections of politics, education, and social justice.
Experience & Career: Nikhila commenced her journalism career in 2007 as an education correspondent for The Times of India in Hyderabad,where she gained recognition for her coverage of student politics. Her professional trajectory includes a four-year tenure at The Hindu, where she focused on minority affairs and social welfare. In 2019, she took on a leadership role as the South Bureau Chief for The Quint, where she directed regional coverage across all five South Indian states. Her expansive career also includes a tenure at the BBC in New Delhi and contributions to prestigious international outlets such as The Sunday Times (London) and HuffPost India.

Expertise & Focus Areas
Nikhila’s reportage is marked by a deep-seated understanding of grassroots movements and institutional policy. Her core focus areas include:



Regional Politics: Comprehensive analysis of the socio-political dynamics across South India.


Education & Student Movements: Chronicling the evolution of Indian academics and the rise of youth activism.


Minority Affairs: Rigorous reporting on the welfare, rights, and challenges facing marginalized communities.


National Beat: Elevating regional stories to national prominence through investigative and on-ground reporting.


Authoritativeness & Trust
A respected figure in Indian media, Nikhila is not only a seasoned reporter but also an accomplished author and editor. She authored the critically acclaimed book The Ferment: Youth Unrest in India and edited Caste is Not a Rumour, a collection of writings by Rohith Vemula. Her dual background in daily news reporting and long-form authorship allows her to provide readers with a nuanced, historically-informed perspective on contemporary Indian society.



Find all stories by Nikhila Henry here. … Read More

Stay updated with the latest – Click here to follow us on Instagram

© The Indian Express Pvt Ltd

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Join Us WhatsApp