Mohammed Shami has been acquitted of the INR 1 lakh cheque bounce case filed by his estranged wife, Hasin Jahan. She had filed the case against the renowned cricketer back in 2022, and the case has been in court for the past four years.
Indian cricketers’ personal lives have always been the centre of attraction for the Indian sports reporters, and Mohammed Shami‘s personal life has largely been affected by personal turmoil, often involving his former wife, Hasin Jahan.
Mohammed Shami has not given up on his hope to return to international cricket after he focused on domestic cricket and has shown some promising control over his fitness. His career has often been hindered by a pack of injuries.
Mohammed Shami acquitted of legal case by Kolkata High Court
Indian cricketer Mohammed Shami has been cleared of a legal case by the Alipore Court in a cheque bounce case filed against him by his estranged wife, Hasin Jahan. The case was related to a cheque bounce with the net amount of only INR 1 lakh.
The matter has been up with the Alipore Court for nearly four years, and on Wednesday, the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court in Alipore acquitted the legendary cricketer of charges related to the cheque bounce.
Confirming the verdict during an interaction with news agency IANS, Shami’s lawyer Salim Rahman said, “Cricketer Mohammed Shami has been acquitted in the four-year-old case, which was filed by his wife.”
Cheque bounce case: One among the massive charges pressed against Shami and his family
After being acquitted of the charges, Mohammed Shami reflected on his belief in the judicial system and claimed that he had always kept faith in the court and believed that justice would prevail.
After the court ruling, Shami said he always believed the judgment would go in his favour. “I have paid every rupee that I was required to pay. Whether on or off the field, I always strive to handle every situation to the best of my ability,” he told reporters.
However, the cheque bounce was one of the long-running legal battles for the Indian cricketer. Since 2018, Jahan has filed several cases against the cricketer and his family, which also included domestic violence as well as allegations of a lack of proper financial assistance.
She had also filed a case regarding the alimony for the well-being of her daughter and her upbringing. However, the Calcutta High Court found it unreasonable, as the cricketer already paid INR 1.5 lakh and INR 2.5 lakh, respectively, for his former wife’s and daughter’s well-being.
Mohammed Shami denied a team India comeback despite a promising show in IPL 2026
The legendary Indian pacer has picked up several wickets for India despite his international career being marred by several injuries. Shami is one of India’s most successful players in ICC tournaments and is now the official highest wicket-taker for India in such tournaments.
However, he has not been picked for the Indian squad since the 2025 ICC Champions Trophy, where he finished as the joint highest wicket-taker in the championship. Though injury was his massive concern earlier in 2025, his return to a full season of domestic cricket seemed exciting.
He also played a fine hand for the Lucknow Super Giants with the new ball. Despite emerging at his wicket-taking best and showing promising fitness levels, Shami was left out of being picked for India’s squad for the upcoming series against Afghanistan.




