Saturday, August 22, 2026

Breaking
News

🕒

Latest
Updates

🔔

Stay
Informed

Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

Rising prices cast shadow over Onam; govt. must act urgently, says Pinarayi

Pinarayi Vijayan

Pinarayi Vijayan
| Photo Credit: SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT

With Onam just days away, Keralam’s Opposition Leader Pinarayi Vijayan has criticised the government for failing to check the steep rise in prices of essential commodities, warning that the escalating cost of living is putting families under mounting pressure.

Speaking to reporters in Thrissur on Saturday, Mr. Vijayan said prices of rice, sugar, vegetables and cooking oil were rising steadily, with rice alone becoming costlier by ₹15. Vegetables and fruits, he said, were witnessing daily price increases, adding to the burden on households preparing for Onam.

Mr. Vijayan said Keralam had previously maintained strong market intervention mechanisms during the Onam season. Since 2016, prices of 13 essential commodities had remained unchanged at Supplyco outlets, he said. “That system has now changed,” he said, alleging that market intervention through Supplyco and ration shops had weakened following the change in government.

He pointed out that the price of special rice supplied to priority-category ration card holders had increased from ₹10 to ₹26, while its quality had also deteriorated. Rice prices in the open market had risen as well, he said. The Opposition Leader also criticised the weakening of vegetable procurement and distribution through Horticorp, which he said had earlier provided consumers with some relief during periods of price escalation.

Welfare measures under strain

Mr. Vijayan alleged that welfare measures traditionally extended during Onam were also being curtailed. More than six lakh free Onam kits had been distributed to residents of welfare institutions in previous years, he said, but only around 50,000 kits had been distributed so far this year. He alleged that there was a “secret move” to reduce the number of kits substantially. Special rice meant for distribution through ration shops had also not reached several places, he said.

Mr. Vijayan further alleged that an assistance scheme benefiting 16 lakh homemakers under a women’s security programme had been discontinued. The quantity of rice distributed to schoolchildren during the Onam season had also been reduced from 5 kg to 4 kg, he said, adding that distribution had not been completed even after schools closed for Onam vacation.

He also questioned the decision to replace a ₹1,000 assistance provided to people aged above 60 in the Scheduled Tribe community with mundus. “I do not understand the logic of giving a mundu instead of directly providing the amount to the beneficiaries,” he said.

There was also no clarity on whether welfare pensions would be disbursed before Onam, he said. Mr. Vijayan urged the government to intervene immediately to contain prices and strengthen market intervention through public and cooperative institutions. “The government must wake up and act to keep prices under control,” he said.

Spread the love

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles