Sunday, May 24, 2026

Breaking
News

🕒

Latest
Updates

🔔

Stay
Informed

Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

Usyk avoids shock defeat with 11th-round stoppage of Verhoeven | Boxing News

Ukraine’s unbeaten heavyweight world champion Oleksandr ⁠Usyk has stopped Dutch former kickboxer ⁠Rico Verhoeven with one second left in the penultimate round of a WBC title fight to avoid one of the greatest boxing upsets of all time.

The “Glory in Giza” fight, held at the pyramids of Egypt on Saturday, was considered a mismatch, ⁠but Verhoeven, whose sole previous professional boxing fight was 12 years ago, tore up the script in mind-boggling fashion from the opening bell.

It took until the fourth for Usyk to have a round that was clearly his, but the champion was unable to capitalise on it with the ⁠bigger and heavier Verhoeven still taking the fight to him.

With Usyk tipping the scales heavier than ever before and looking strangely lethargic at times, the 39-year-old went into the penultimate round needing to pull something out of the bag to be sure of a win most had taken for granted.

Scorecards published by The Ring magazine afterwards showed two of the three judges had the fight tied 95-95 going into the 11th of 12 rounds and ‌the other had Verhoeven ahead 96-94.

The decisive moment came right at the end when Usyk dropped Verhoeven with a right uppercut and the Dutchman beat the 10 count but not the referee, who stepped in to wave off further punishment.

The ring announcer timed the stoppage at two minutes and 59 seconds of round 11.

“I thought it was an early stoppage, but in the end, it’s not up to me,” Verhoeven, 37, told DAZN. “The referee knows that we are almost at the end of the round, so let me go out on my shield or let the bell go.

“But you know, … I was already super thankful for the opportunity ⁠as well,” he added while pitching for a rematch.

Ukraine's Oleksandr Usyk (L) fights Netherlands' Rico Verhoeven (R) during their WBC World Heavyweight Championship 'Glory in Giza' boxing match at the Pyramids of Giza on May 23, 2026. Heavyweight boxing king Oleksandr Usyk retained his titles after a dramatic and controversial stoppage victory over kick-boxer Rico Verhoeven with a second left of the 11th round in Egypt on May 23. (Photo by Khaled DESOUKI / AFP)
Usyk was given a tough fight by Verhoeven [Khaled Desouki/AFP]

Shock averted

Verhoeven was fighting only for the WBC belt with Usyk risking ⁠also the loss of his WBA and IBF ones, which would have been declared vacant titles had he been beaten.

In the end, the 39-year-old Ukrainian extended his record to 25 unbeaten fights and retained all three titles.

“This fight was hard. It was a good fight. I was just boxing, my right uppercut, bang. Bang, bang, bang. Thank you, ⁠God,” he said with Britain’s former heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua and Hollywood action star Jason Statham in the crowd.

“Right now in Ukraine, my people and my country – there is bombing. My people are sitting in bomb ⁠shelters. My family. My daughter sent me a message: ‘Papa, I love you. You win. I’m ⁠afraid.’ I said, ‘Oh my God.’”

Victory for Verhoeven would have been one of the biggest shocks in the sport’s history, surpassing Mike Tyson’s 1990 defeat by journeyman James “Buster” Douglas.

Usyk, a 2012 Olympic champion and consummate professional, had been expected to wrap things up by the half-distance, at least in the estimation of some experts. Others expected an even earlier victory.

Verhoeven ‌did his ring walk in the open-air arena as a pharaoh, flanked by others holding flaming torches with the pyramids illuminated behind them.

Usyk adopted a more gladiatorial look, wearing a golden helmet and the outfit of a Roman centurion as fireworks lit up the night ‌sky. ‌But the fight was one of his toughest, and he struggled to deal with an awkward opponent who hit hard and showed few signs of crumbling.

“Thank you so much, Rico. You are an amazing fighter,” Usyk said.

Spread the love

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles